Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Why Monica is always "write".

Do you like what I did there, using "write" for right? I thought it was clever. This all started at Teacher's Convention when my friend Monica said we should start blogging. My initial response was, "I don't have time". I also had that nagging voice in my head saying that nobody cares about anything I have to write about. I'm not a good writer.

So the convention went on without me giving it another thought. Until went to a session about blogging. I have to admit, I didn't think I would get too much out of the session. I already use a platform for my students to blog. I felt as though maybe I would learn one or two tricks to help with teaching students to blog. It turns out the session was about why I should blog. While sitting in the workshop it felt like they were talking directly to me.

Why should I blog?

-for the parents of the students in my class. I have a website, Twitter, and Instagram. Do I need another way to connect through social media? Apparently, I do. This blog will be more than a quick picture of my classroom. It will be my thoughts and feelings about teaching. Through this blog parents can gain insight to the "whys" of my madness.

-for other educators. Maybe I'm doing something that is interesting to other educators. Maybe? Sharing ideas is how we all survive as teachers. I don't think this is limited to ideas. Maybe just knowing that another teacher is going through the same struggles or successes is comforting. Reflecting on my own teaching through a blog, could possibly help another teacher refocus their own teaching.

- for me. Reflecting and adjusting is the teacher's life. How did that go? What could I have done better? Did they grasp what I set out for them to learn? Is this learning authentic? What was the purpose? These are just some of the questions we ask ourselves. The answers to those questions bring us closer to the teacher we want to be. I heard in a workshop once that teachers make 500 or more decisions a day. Some days I feel like the judge or jury. Blogging could be a healthy way to process the day.

Monica was right. With a lot of nerves and a touch of excitement, I'm going to blog.

     

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are doing this, Danielle. I read tons of blogs about children's books and blogs by librarians and find them very useful. I will try to be a faithful reader of yours! And I love to check in on your students' blogs too! I would love to hear more about the convention if I ever get a chance to chat with you. Maybe you could blog about the other useful workshops you attended.

    ReplyDelete